Friday, January 18, 2008
We all have this favorite expression when it comes to being stressed out, and I wouldn't bother naming all
of them since it may also vary in different languages. But when it comes down to it, I think that it is how
we work or even relax, for that matter that triggers stress. Ever been stressed even when you're well relaxed
and bored? I know I have.
Since Error! Hyperlink reference not valid. is unavoidable in life, it is important to find ways to decrease and
prevent stressful incidents and decrease negative reactions to stress. Here are some of the things that can be done
by just remembering it, since life is basically a routine to follow like brushing your teeth or eating breakfast.
You can do a few of them in a longer span of time, but as they say-- every minute counts.
Time management skills can allow you more time with your family and friends and possibly increase your performance
and productivity. This will help reduce your stress.
To improve your time management:
· Save time by focusing and concentrating, delegating, and scheduling time for yourself.
· Keep a record of how you spend your time, including work, family, and leisure time.
· Prioritize your time by rating tasks by importance and urgency. Redirect your time to those activities that are
important and meaningful to you.
· Manage your commitments by not over- or undercommitting. Don't commit to what is not important to you.
· Deal with procrastination by using a day planner, breaking large projects into smaller ones, and setting short-term
· Examine your beliefs to reduce conflict between what you believe and what your life is like.
Build healthy coping strategies
It is important that you identify your coping strategies. One way to do this is by recording the stressful event,
your reaction, and how you cope in a stress journal. With this information, you can work to change unhealthy coping
strategies into healthy ones-those that help you focus on the positive and what you can change or control in your life.
Some behaviors and lifestyle choices affect your stress level. They may not cause stress directly, but they can
interfere with the ways your body seeks relief from stress. Try to:
· Balance personal, work, and family needs and obligations.
· Have a sense of purpose in life.
· Get enough sleep, since your body recovers from the stresses of the day while you are sleeping.
· Eat a balanced diet for a nutritional defense against stress.
· Get moderate exercise throughout the week.
· Limit your consumption of alcohol.
· Don't smoke.
Social support is a major factor in how we experience stress. Social support is the positive support you receive
from family, friends, and the community. It is the knowledge that you are cared for, loved, esteemed, and valued.
More and more research indicates a strong relationship between social support and better mental and physical health.
When an event triggers negative thoughts, you may experience fear, insecurity, anxiety, depression, rage, guilt,
and a sense of worthlessness or powerlessness. These emotions trigger the body's stress, just as an actual threat does.
Dealing with your negative thoughts and how you see things can help reduce stress.
· Thought-stopping helps you stop a negative thought to help eliminate stress.
· Disproving irrational thoughts helps you to avoid exaggerating the negative thought, anticipating the worst, and
interpreting an event incorrectly.
· Problem solving helps you identify all aspects of a stressful event and find ways to deal with it.
· Changing your communication style helps you communicate in a way that makes your views known without making others
feel put down, hostile, or intimidated. This reduces the stress that comes from poor communication. Use the assertiveness
ladder to improve your communication style.
Even writers like me can get stressed even though we're just using our hands to do the talking, but having to sit for 7
or 8 hours is already stressful enough and have our own way to relieve stress. Whether you're the mail guy, the CEO, or
probably the average working parent, stress is one unwanted visitor you would love to boot out of your homes, especially
Monday, August 27, 2007
One of the best ways to get a good workout when you think you don’t have time to go to the gym is to get a workout DVD you can do in your home. You may think that you don’t want to go to the gym because you feel too large, or perhaps it takes you too long to get there and back. If this is something you are thinking, make sure that is a real issue and not just a cop out. If you really want the workout but can’t get to the gym, a great workout DVD is just what you need.
When you are choosing a workout DVD, you have to consider what it is you like to do. If you choose something that you are going to get bored with rather quickly, you are going to end up stopping your workouts due to boredom. I once had a Body of Steel workout DVD and I stopped using it because I couldn’t stand it another moment. You really have to find something that works for you, and remember that perhaps you should change what DVD you use on occasion to stop yourself from getting bored of the same workout day after day.
If you have friends that are also using a workout DVD, you might want to work out together. If you don’t feel comfortable with this, you might have another option. You can still workout on your own, but you can take walks with each other a few times a week. You can add extra workout time to your weekly schedule this way, and you can find a way to spend time with each other while doing so. You may want to do a workout DVD swap with a few of these friends so you can all switch up your routines.
You should know that a workout DVD does not have to have the word ‘workout’ on it. You can use any sort of movement for a workout. I used to use the various Wiggles’ DVDs to work out, though I have been slack in that as of late. I do have to get them back out and get moving again.
The Wiggles have a lot of different movies out there, and there are many that will give you a good workout if you try to keep up with the dances. I recommend the live concert ones for this purpose.